Saturday, January 17, 2015

Memorial for Lillith Cat - January 10, 2015

Lillith Cat

Today, my companion animal Lillith passed away. The vet said she had eye cancer and probably started to suffer some pain this last week. She had stopped eating the last few days, and I did not want her to suffer, so I had the vet put her to sleep. 

Lillith was 15 years old, I had her since she was a kitten. Lillith, whom I also called affectionately, Lillith Cat, was a very clever smart kitty, and very affectionate. 

About 12 years ago, I had an angioplasty for my heart from an arythmia caused by hyperthyroid. When I was home recovering, Lillith would jump on the couch or bed and lie right over the left side of my chest. How smart was that? 

In one of the apartments I lived in there were double folding doors in one of the entrance ways. Lillith would jump up on top of the doors when they were folded open, and perch herself there, surveying the apartment like it was her queendom. 

Lillith was a very affectionate cat. would often wake me up for no other reason to but to be petted. She loved to sleep on the bed or couch with the lights and TV on. She would be in her glory. 

When I would sit and say my daily office, she would often jump on the bed or couch with me and lay her head on my lap. I would say, "wanna say prayers with daddy?"

The idea that animals have no souls, spirits or personalities, as is usually taught in traditional Christianity, has never sat well with me. I find it hard to believe that one can look in the eyes of their companion animal and not see personhood, on some level, even if not on the same level as humans. I believe not only do animals have spirits, but have existence beyond death, just like we do. 

I like that the vet in her calming voice today, was telling  Lillith she would be in heaven soon. I believe she will, and I offer this memorial for her. 
Lillith Cat, 1999-2014


Liturgy for a Dead or Dying Pet

Leader     Let us sing to the Lord a new song;
All            a song for all the creatures of the earth.
Leader     Let us rejoice in the goodness of God
All            shown in the beauty of all things.

A Reading from the Letter of Paul to the Romans (8:18-21)
I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory
about to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of
the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by
the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from
its bondage to decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

A Reading from our holy father, St. Isaac of Syria
What is a merciful heart? It is a heart that burns with love for the whole of creation, for human beings, for the birds, for the beasts, for the demons, for all creatures.

A Reading from the Revelation to John (Rev. 21:1, 4-5a, 6)
I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed
away. And he shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death,
neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things
are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold I make all things new. I
am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
                  The Word of the Lord
All              Thanks be to God.

Let us pray.
This we know: every living thing is yours and returns to you. As we ponder this mystery
we give you thanks for the life of Lillith, and we now commit her into your loving
hands. Gentle God: fragile is your world, delicate are your creatures, and costly is your
love which bears and redeems us all.

Holy Creator, give us eyes to see and ears to hear how every living thing speaks to us of
your love. Let us be awestruck at your creation and daily sing your praises. Especially,
create within us a spirit of gratitude for the life of this beloved pet who has lived among
us and given us freely of his/her love. Even in our sorrow we have cause for joy for we
know that all creatures who died on earth shall live again in your new creation. Amen.


-------------------------------
Source: St, Margaret's Episcopal Church 

Daddy & Lillith Cat


No comments:

Post a Comment