Friday, September 18, 2015

Using Prayer Beads for the Jesus Prayer and Trisagion

My prayer beads- got them at a Tibetan Buddhist store. I use them to pray the Jesus Prayer. The version I use is from the Way of the Pilgrim, "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me." On the two large beads, I pray the Trisagion:

"Holy God,
Holy Mighty One,
Holy Immortal One,
Who wast crucified for us,
Have mercy upon us."

I use the Oriental Orthodox version because I am a Miaphysite in my Christology.

I like having the Jesus Prayer and Trisagion both because one says, "have mercy on me," and the other says, "have mercy on us," I want to pray for all of humanity.

The Jesus Prayer has an affinity with mantras, but it is a prayer to a personal God, a prayer seeking the Presence of Christ. "Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek (Psalm 27.8)."

This is a prayer habit anyone can have, no matter how busy you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment