Sunday, June 4, 2017

My Three Spiritual Heroes

A friend of mine from church recently said of me that I am one who studies "ancient orders." This seeking of the Ancient Way is has led me to follow these three of my spiritual heroes.
 From left to right:

1) Bede Griffiths, an Oxford-educated Benedictine Monk who led the Shantivanam Christian Ashram in India, incorporating the Rule of St. Benedict, the Syrian Rite, and Hindu modes of prayer and symbolism. Bede was a great teacher, and a leader in of ecumenical dialog, especially between Christianity and Hinduism. He has inspired me to recognize the Eternal Word and the Kingdom of God within us, and to cultivate a spirit of prayer and meditation. The symbol underneath his picture is the Cross from Shantivanam, which is the cross with the OM symbol on it.

2) His Imperial Majesty, Haile Selassie I, of the House of Solomon, Emperor of Ethiopia and Defender of the Faith. He preached Jesus Christ, promoted the Bible, and was devout in his own practice of the Ethiopian Orthodox Hours of Prayer and Scripture reading. He has inspired me to value the throne of David, and devout prayer and scripture reading. I was led to study His Imperial Majesty's teachings from my interest in the Rastafarian Movement and the music of Bob Marley. The symbol underneath his picture is the Lion of Judah.

3) George M. Lamsa, Assyrian immigrant to the United States, and translator of the complete Bible from Aramaic into English. His translation is my daily reading Bible and has inspired me to value the Aramaic and Semitic origins of Christianity.
The symbol underneath his picture is the Aramaic symbol of the Holy Trinity, which is often featured on editions of his Bible translation.

I value the writings and teaching of these three saints and prophets, for they have inspired me to seek Allaha and to a greater devotion to Mar Eshoo Mashikkah (Our LORD Jesus Christ).

No comments:

Post a Comment